July 07, 2007

Beating 7/7 and 9/11

New York and London both feel like home. I lived in New York most of my life, but having always been in love with London, felt more affected by 7/7 than 9/11.

I was in New York when London was struck by terrorists, 3,000 miles away. I remember refreshing the BBC Web site every few minutes while sitting in my air conditioned cubicle, my fingers shaking on the keyboard. On 9/11, I was in Dr. Lachut's AP Biology class.

Today is 7/7 and recent terrorist attempts in London have people on their toes again. It is no use thinking about “what ifs.” One of the best things happening today is Live Earth. People are stepping up and gathering in the new Wembley Stadium in London and other venues around the world on every continent for a great cause: saving the planet and raising awareness about climate change with 24 hours of music.

In London, Snow Patrol; in New York, Smashing Pumpkins; in Australia, Jack Johnson; in Germany, Snoop Dogg; in Japan, Rihanna; in South Africa, Joss Stone; in Brazil, Macy Gray; in China, Sarah Brightman.

Rock on.

For more on Live Earth, check their site at www.liveearth.org/

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'm sure Sarah Brightman was retribution for coal-fired power stations and riding mopeds instead of bicycles. I like Al Gore - or I really, really like what he's trying to do - but sadly I doubt yesterday will change much. Those of us who knew before know just as much now; the people who couldn't give a toss will keep finding new excuses: Madonna is a hypocrite, I change a lightbulb and a Chinese peasant wants a new TV...